Welcome to Johannes blog, enjoy!

Welcome to Johannes blog, enjoy!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Remediating History through Mapping

I picked the battle of Dieppe because World War II is interesting in many ways. It has shaped and influenced the world as we know it today, both culture vice and geographically. All the information used in the map is taken from Wikipedia. I have selected parts from the event which I think works well with the look of the map.

My remediated map consists of three different tags. One representing a Nazi German radio station, which was one of the targets of the mission and one image representing a tank regiment and finally a tag which indicates where the army was put on shore.
I used clip-art images to capture and symbolize the action, in this way it makes it more interesting and also more understandable. I wouldn't go all the way and say that I create a realistic visualization, but something in that direction. In the tags you can find short information and a picture.
I have included links in the tags which takes you to Wikipedia for further information. As for the metadata, I chose to show the source from where I got them. I wanted to include a short movie clip of the event to give a even more clear picture of what happens, but could not find that option.

History Pin is a awesome tool for students whom doing history documentation projects. It is user generated, as for both pictures and stories and collaborates with google street view. This means that while you are using google street view you can also see how a building used to look etc.
Community Walk, differs however from History Pin, it is mainly a site for mapping communities and building interactive maps. Its target group are business and property owners whom wants to market houses and districts. Trippermaps is a website which allows you to make photo collaborations with your Flickr pictures. The target group is mainly blogger whom can use this to show of their photos in a more interesting way. Trippermap, compared to History Pin and Community walk, is not built on Googles maps interface. Insted it uses its own platform.



My creation of the 1942 battle of Dieppe Map

No comments:

Post a Comment